Saturday, September 25, 2010

what a day!

I arrived at Pfiefer park just a little early today because I wanted to feel the anticipation of all those coming to run their 20 mile run today. It was dark out yet and some had come early to get a few miles in before the rain started. Some were just rolling out of bed and tying their shoes. Some were just jumping around ready to get going. It was so great to be amongst the excitement, nerves, and thrill of a group of people ready to conquer a goal. Good job team!

Many of you have finished your longest run now that you will do before the 26.2. It seems each time the miles bumped up, people were ready to do it...whether they knew it or not. So many have faithfully been led through this training journey and no doubt the leading from God and Coach Don will continue right through the 26.2. Some of you will feel nervous for that unknown territory the day of the race. The last 6.2 miles that you haven't experienced yet. Remember that God doesn't ever send you where He hasn't already been. Where He isn't already at. When you've reached the 20 mile mark on race day, just know that it can be completed just like today's big run. You will do this.

Last year as I entered mile 23 or 24 I started to see Jesus in a whole new way. Up to that point I had not experienced physical exhaustion or pain quite like I had at that point. (I am not writing that to scare you!) I knew I could do it, but I knew God was going to run with me to get me there. Those last few miles I visualized Jesus, God's only son, nailed to a cross. As my lungs heaved for air and my legs moved simply by habit, I was overwhelmed with what Jesus went through physically to let me live. If Jesus could suffer pain far worse then mine, I could suffer a little pain for children and moms and dads to have clean water in Africa. I did not know that 6.2 mile place very well, but what I found there was a strength I didn't know I had, a purpose much greater then myself, and a Savior I didn't deserve. Jesus was there in those last few miles... I just had to run the first 20 to get there and see Him in that way. I hope you run to meet Jesus in those last hard 6.2 miles. I hope you run with the strength that has been building in you for the last 7 months. I hope you run knowing Jesus died for you, so you can live. Even living to choose to run 26.2 miles!!

It brings me to tears to see all the people on those trails running, becoming friends, growing in many ways, and choosing to do this. You are an amazing group of people! Congrats on your 20 mile run today, gang! This has been an amazing journey and the finish line is not far away. You will do great things on race day!

1 comment:

  1. Jess,
    WOW!! What a beautiful commentary! It defintely inspired me.
    Dawn Kelly

    ReplyDelete