Monday, June 1, 2009

climbing the mental wall

Have you had a day yet where you just don't want to run? Today was the first for me. Today's 3 miles felt like 10. I had a headache going into it, felt tired, have been having a neck and upper back ache all day, and I just didn't want to go. But I did. And when I wanted to quit after one mile, I began all of the mental gymnastics needed to continue. I haven't armed myself with a lot of mantras yet, so I reached into my mind for anything that I had. "No pain, no gain." "Do hard things." "Picture Jesus with me." "Jesus did a lot of hard things." These were my sayings. It wasn't even like it was all that physically taxing out there today, just more of a drudgery than I've experienced up to this point. Do you have any sayings that you find yourself repeating that help you keep going on the rougher days?

By the way, I am so glad that I didn't quit. Having all of you as accountability partners in this really helps. It helped to know that I'm reporting in to Don and to many of you. And I figured that if I didn't finish today, it might be even that much harder tomorrow. It feels so good to persevere! The weekly Scriptures help too!

No comments:

Post a Comment