Sunday, August 9, 2009

praying for supporters

One of our team shared with me an idea that I've modified somewhat and thought I'd share. She told me that she read of a marathoner who pinned a baggie to her shirt with slips of paper that had the names of all of that marathoner's supporters. Each mile, she'd pull out a name and pray for and think on that person during the race.

I liked this idea, and rather than waiting until race day when I think I'll be too wound up to do such a thing, I took a jar at home and placed the names of people who are actively supporting me financially and prayerfully in the jar. Every time I go out on a run alone, I pull a slip of paper from the jar and pray for that person and their family. Through a note to my supporters, I let them know I would be doing this and that they could send me any prayer requests if they choose to. This has been a very good practice, and I thought I'd share it in case you're interested in doing the same! It has helped me to really connect with God and these family members and friends, and it hopefully helps them to feel more a part of this team that is being used by God to make a positive difference in the lives of African brothers and sisters.

1 comment:

  1. i think this is a great idea - often i spend my alone runs in prayer and it will be nice to have a central focus for each run as i find my mind wandering in prayer as our runs get longer. thanks for sharing laura!

    ReplyDelete