Sunday, August 30, 2009

The One Dollar Miracle

I'm so inspired by our Iowans for Africa team that has raised $11,900 as of tonight. The money will go to either clean water projects or AIDS caregiver kits. The kits cost $28 each and help family members and trained community folks in Africa care for those who are suffering with AIDS. We've raised enough to purchase 425 kits! As for clean water, a village's infant mortality rate gets cut in half when that village gets clean water. A whole bunch of good things begin to happen when a village gets clean water...kids can go to school, adults can focus on some other kind of economic venture...all because they're not spending half the day fetching water. I was thinking about how many of our African neighbors are praying for a miracle today and how much God wants to work the miracle through us.

I love the miracle where Jesus multiplies the loaves and the fish for many reasons, but one reason is that he can take so little and transform and mulitply it in such a big way. So, in the next 6 weeks before the marathon, I'm putting out a "one dollar miracle" challenge for people who haven't given. I'm wondering how many people would like to give only $1 and watch to see how Jesus multiplies it to meet needs of people and change a community. I love to see how big the difference "together" makes, and this $1 miracle will be such an example of that.

Anyone else want to join me in this last stretch "One Dollar Miracle" campaign? If so, talk to people about this and count up how many $1 donations you get from folks in the next 6 weeks! I was at my dad's birthday party last week and received $57. Let's see how Jesus can take so little and transform and multiply it in a big way! I'll put a blog post out once each week to see the miracle in progress. :)

Yay to a God who allows us to partner with Him to restore and redeem His world!
Laura

2 comments:

  1. I made a $1 miracle challenge at staff meeting today and it was multiplied to $14.52! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea -- I can think of several groups/opportunities I have where this would be an awesome way to let people participate. Over the next few days I am going to focus on the neighborhood kids. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete