Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Run after Jesus

Don made mention to a packet that is an 18 week training log with references to Scripture with a short commentary. I thought I'd post these weekly on the blog as well. The first one is:

1 Timothy 4: 7b Keep yourself in training for a godly life. Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is valuable in every way, because it promises life for both the present and the future. (TEV)

Commentary: There is a strong connection in my life between running and spirituality. I often combine the physical exercise with spiritual by praying or meditating. Running helps me appreciate the glory of God's nature. I view every run as a gift from God and an opportunity for spiritual growth.

(p.s. I am not sure who wrote the guide and commentaries...when I make that discovery I'll be sure to credit and reference them. Thanks, Don, for providing this for us.)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Laura -- it served as a great reminder to me to print the log (I forgot about it until seeing this). I have noticed that when I am more disciplined in one area (like forcing myself to run on a morning when I don't want to) then I am able to exercise more discipline in other areas of my life as well. During this marathon training I really want to use that focus to become more spiritually disciplined, especially with my scripture reading.

    ReplyDelete