Tuesday, May 12, 2009

When you run....

I've heard some people talk about how they have a good time of prayer and communion with God while they run. I really admire that, but I am not one of those people. I need silence and stillness with God, and all I get when I try to have a conversation with God while running is the sound of my panting and my mind constantly flipping back to considering how much further I have to go.

Music seems to be what keeps me going. I am especially fond of something with a good beat...Toby Mac has been a favorite of mine. My brother just recently gave me an ipod shuffle as a present and he loaded it with 480 songs. Since you can't see titles/artists on a shuffle, every song is a surprise. He's put on some good ol' 70's, and has some of his favorites on there for me...Neil Diamond, James Taylor, Nanci Griffith, Creedence Clearwater Revival. Makes me smile and think of him as I sing "Down on the Corner" and the like.

What do you listen to or where do your thoughts most often go while running?

2 comments:

  1. i like music too. nice work on the ipod shuffle laura! i like something to get me moving. i have been enjoying some worship tunes (my fave to run to- Not To Us by Chris Tomlin.) I think I like that one so much because it reminds me that I'm not doing this marathon for my own glory. A little bit of a push in those hard moments.
    I also am starting to pray more, I'm like you, somedays I just can't do it. Maybe I have been able to pray more lately because i am able to focus on something more than how many more minutes I need to run! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great topic! I love to hear what other people think about or do or what keeps their mind going while running. Now that I can think past the pain and first running days huffing and puffing, I'm finding I really like music...very much so... and just recently have made a self-promise to pray for my neighborhood while I run. (Kris- Not To Us is also my fave song to listen to and i usually skip to it for my last few minutes of my runs... it's great to end on and reflect!! perhaps that is our theme song :) the praying while running has just become more natural for me this last week or so... I try to pray for wherever I am at... I run by Jaxon's future school and pray for teachers there and kids and safety and for God's glory to be brought through the doors each day... I pray for my cousin and her family as I run by her house on most runs... I pray for my father in law as I trek by his place... I pray for my dear elderly neighbor Roger... and the homes where I know nobody there. It's actually been an amazing experience to chat with God about the space I live in... suddenly I'm seeing my "home base" through a lot bigger eyes :)
    Back to the music... good ole Journey and Billy Joel has also found it into my play mix along with that sweet voice of Taylor Swift and Jennifer Knapp... what a mix I have!! Toby Mac is also a fave... ENJOY your shuffle Laura! What fun!

    ReplyDelete