Thursday, May 28, 2009

sample fundraising letter

In mid-April, I sent out a fundraising note to family and friends that I'm pasting below. If it can be helpful to you as you consider strategies for fundraising, then great! A couple of thoughts-- remember that there are now 83 of us fundraising, and many of us go to OHC. So as not to overwhelm people with overlapping fundraising asks, I recommend asking people in your close relationship circles and seeking support from family and friends outside of our church.

Remember, there is no minimum fundraising requirement, so be prayerful as you set your goal and then passionate for the world's poor as you seek to meet the goal, whether it's $100 or $1,000.

Family and friends, April 14, 2009
I am signed up to do the Chicago Marathon October 11 as part of a group called "Iowans for Africa", a sub-team of Team World Vision! We will be running and fundraising for World Vision (www.worldvision.org), one of my favorite Christian relief organizations. World Vision is doing amazing community development around the globe, and they're making progress in fighting the HIV/AIDS pandemic that is wiping out large portions of Africa. I've worked with World Vision through some of their efforts over the past years, and I've been very impressed with the leadership, integrity, and the impact of the organization. I invite you to scope out their website or feel free to ask me questions.
It's crazy marathon mania around here, with about 50 friends and neighbors currently signed up to do this marathon- beginners (that's me) and experienced runners alike. I've begun a "pre-training" workout that leads up to June when the runs begin to get longer and more serious. :0
In high school, I ran some 4 x 220's. Today, I'm running a 10 x 100.....campaign that is. I'm campaigning for $10 by 100 people to reach my $1,000 fundraising goal. This support team of 100 people will encourage me in the marathon, but most importantly will help to make a positive difference in the lives of many who live in abject poverty. Will you consider joining this $10 x 100 effort? If so, you can donate and check my progress at www.firstgiving.com/laurahoy . I'm working to accomplish this personal goal in the next two months, so that I can then turn to help do some general fundraising for the overall Team World Vision.
If you choose not to join the $10 x 100 team, please consider committing to support through prayer. Pray that I can jog more than 2 consecutive minutes without collapsing (that's about what I'm doing now!). Seriously, pray for a more just and loving world, for the 12 million AIDS orphans, for governments and systems, for organizations like World Vision who are working for transformational and sustainable community development in some of the neediest places on earth.
Thanks! I'll try to report training progress on my fundraising web page from time to time!
Laura Hoy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Laura. I need to get started on the fundraising part of the process...this was a good reminder and I appreciate you sharing the letter -- it really helps to see what others are doing.

    ReplyDelete