Thursday, May 7, 2009

Tell us a story!

How's the training going for you? What are you experiencing? Any tips the rest of us might find helpful? Here's a good news/bad news scenario from my training...this will help put you to ease if you feel particularly early on the journey.

Good News: Yesterday, I was out on our country road for 28 minutes and only walked 2 of those minutes! That's a first for me, as I had been stopping about every 5 minutes to walk a minute up to that point. Bad News: I got in my car to see how far I went and discovered I had only gone 2 miles! That's a pretty slow mile time....nowhere to go but faster and further!

On the bright side, I love the discipline that gets me out there when I would have otherwise blown off exercise in my day, and I love that I can jog (even though it may be ever so slowly) more than a mile without stopping now. I see progress!

Share a story of what you're encountering and enjoying as you train. And watch the video below...it's inspirational!

3 comments:

  1. I love the video below. Jaxon watches it with me and is so impressed with the "athlete" looking people doing it... it's never occurred to him that mom can do something physical like run, instead of Dad being the constant sports/active/physical one. Kind of sad that my kid-o sees me that way, but this is a great experience to show him I can be active and fun and taking care of my body too!!
    I switched to Don's schedule for running this week, and I think the 3 days in a row running is waring me down. I'm still doing the run 4 min, walk 1 min...but I've been wiped trying to finish a 3.1 mile within that type of interval running. I would say I've been on a "running high" the last 3 weeks and this is the first week I've felt like giving in half way through. I agree with Laura...the discipline has been great because I would have brushed running off a couple days this week I think if I didn't have my goals and teammates to hang in it for. Looking forward to a group run again and getting inspired by my teammates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A training story to share:

    I was home alone the other day with my 4 year old, Cole, and 2 year old, Cooper, and couldn't get out for a run. So I decided to use our treadmill, which is set up to look out on the boys' playroom. Halfway through the run the boys disappeared upstairs for awhile and I assumed they went up to watch a movie. After a short time, Cole came to me and announced "Mom, me and Cooper ate all the brownies." And they did! Between the two of them they polished off five brownies and hid the container. We had a talk about always asking before taking things like brownies. When my husband got home later, Cole said, "Dad, you always have to ask Mom after you eat a brownie."

    I think training on the treadmill at our house is out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, that's hilarious! Thanks for sharing such a great story. You might have to lock your guys in the playroom if you're going to use your treadmill..or lock your kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete