Friday, July 17, 2009

changing things up

I've discovered that there are probably some good benefits for me to change things up a bit in my training. Yesterday, I decided not to run the normal 4 mile route from home in the early a.m. but to rather run at about 5 p.m. from church. This decision led me to a. some hills on Greenhill, b. a warmer sun than I'm used to, c. a little head wind. And to top it off, I decided to push myself to a bit of a faster pace. I had gotten into a groove where I was challenging myself distance-wise but not pace nor heart rate, etc.. So I ran the 4 miles at a little stretch for myself and came in huffing like a steam engine, taking about a minute and a half off of each mile.

I'm thinking I need to do a bit of this at least once a week in my training. I'm spoiled on Saturdays running in the cool shade of the morning, running the flat trails, being protected from much wind, running with friends.... It's good for me...though not exactly fun at this point...to train occasionally with some wind, sun, hills, and by myself. I think these things might all help prepare me for the big marathon day.

No comments:

Post a Comment