Friday, September 4, 2009

dare to care

I woke up abruptly this morning from a dream in which I was facing God and He was asking me, "You knew of all of the suffering...why didn't you do more in my love?"

I'm quite certain this dream comes from a summer of pondering a statement that was in Stearn's book, A Hole in our Gospel. He writes about how we in this present age, because of technology, money, and transportation, have the awareness of suffering, the ability to alleviate much suffering, and the access to get to places where there is need. He poses the question, "Why then don't we?" That's a question I've been living in since I read the book....identifying the obstacles that keep me from more fully seeking God's heart and God's justice.

That kind of question prompts me to pray "God, help me to care, help me to die to the obstacles, and help me to order my days as if justice and reconciliation really matter."

I'm grateful for this marathon as an expression of care and compassion for those who suffer. I'm grateful for a team that encourages me to live out my days in God's love.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, Laura!! You make me want to pray that same prayer. Let us always ask that question of ourselves-"Why then don't we?" Thank you, Lord for this marathon journey where we feel just a tad bit like we are doing something productive for those in need. Thank you for your words, Laura! I will be praying for the team tomorrow!
    Blessings,Bonita

    ReplyDelete