Sunday, September 13, 2009

lessons from ultramarathon man

I had some open hours yesterday to finish Ultra Marathon Man: Confessions of an All-night Runner by Dean Karnazes. The book is a fast, engaging read, and Dean's persistence in the most extreme running ventures ever, is inspiring as I face 26.2 miles in 4 weeks. Your jaw will drop through most of his running tales...the first marathoner to the South Pole, a solo relay team himself doing 199 miles in California in 46 hours, 10 silver buckles for completing 10 grueling Western States 100 mile races through mountains, a 135 mile race in 27 hours through 120 degree Death Valley. The man is a machine, and he has several good quotes that I found motivating. Here are a few:

"Still, most people can't imagine the levels of pain one endures running long distances...how can the human body withstand it? ...There's really no mystery to what I do, however. It hurts me just as bad as anyone else. I've just learned an essential insight: your legs can only carry you so far. Running great distances is mostly done with your head...and, as Benner taught me 25 years ago, with your heart. The human body is capable of amazing physical deeds. If we could just free ourselves from our perceived limitations and tap into our internal fire, the possibilities are endless. "

This quote as he nears his 199 mile finish...running the last mile in under 6 minutes. "Running into Santa Cruz, I was wholly fulfilled. Most people never get there. They're afraid or unwilling to demand enough of themselves and take the easy road, the path of least resistance. But struggling and suffering, as I now saw it, were the essence of a life worth living. If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not constantly demanding more from yourself- expanding and learning as you go- you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourselves an extraordinary trip."

"Often, people can't understand how running can have such power. They say it's little more than a slightly ambitious version of walking. True, running is a simple, primitive act. Yet in its subtleties lies tremendous power. For in running, the muscles work a little harder, the blood flows a little faster, the heart beats a little stronger. Life becomes a little more vibrant, a little more intense. I like that."

1 comment:

  1. Those are some great quotes - thanks for sharing Laura! They capture the reasons beyond science of how our bodies can manage to go that extra amount. We aren't running 100 miles but we are running 26. As you guys go to run 20 on Saturday remember how much of it is in your mind. I ran my 20 on Saturday and it went well, I think it's because I was able to turn that "I can't do this, my legs can't go any further" thought in my head off and focus on the end goal of serving our Lord. Good luck on Saturday team!

    ReplyDelete