Friday, October 2, 2009

Countdown.....8

Team mates,

After today we have 8 days until we are celebrating. Please take the time to enjoy this final stage of our journey together. God has done and is still doing some amazing things through each and every one of us. I am sure as we look back on this experience it will be even more evident. The picture that keeps coming back to my mind is that each one of us has a bright light encompassing us, but when we all get together that light is amplified hundreds of times.

I have to take my mask off for a moment and share something with you. Unless I am reading a book to learn something, I do not read for enjoyment. This might be genetic, as our son Eric has the same DNA, even though my wife, Terri is just the opposite. I think the last book I read, not for an educational purpose was Lord of the Rings and that was over 35 years ago! Sad but true. Anyway I share that with you for one purpose. Recently quite a few people have strongly recommended that I read the Ultra Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes. I said sure, knowing in all probability it was not going to happen. Well finally someone put the book in my hands and said READ IT, so Wednesday night about an hour before bed, (I am embarrassed to tell you how early that was) I picked it up. I was half way through the book before I could put it down and I finished it last night. There is no reference in the book about anything spiritual but yet somehow to me that is what it is all about. Scott & Sue you will love chapter 18, the gift of life. Maybe it is just me, but it made me want to run this marathon even more than before! So my tip for today is READ IT if at all possible before the 11th!

A quote from the book: "Running great distances is mostly done with your head... and your heart. The human body is capable of amazing physical deeds. If we could just free ourselves from our perceived limitations and tap into our internal fire, the possibilities are endless."

Have an awesome day!
Coach Don

No comments:

Post a Comment